- blue whale
- nounlargest mammal ever known; bluish-grey migratory whalebone whale mostly of southern hemisphere
* * *noun: a rorqual (Sibbaldus musculus) common in the northern and southern oceans and sometimes exceeding 80 feet in length
* * *a migratory baleen whale, Balaenoptera musculus, mostly of oceans and seas in the Southern Hemisphere, growing to a length of 100 ft. (30.5 m) and having a furrowed, slate-blue skin mottled with lighter spots, in some seas acquiring a yellowish coating of diatoms on the underside: the largest mammal ever known, it is now endangered. Also called sulfur-bottom.[1850-55]
* * *blue whale nounA large baleen whale (Balaenoptera musculus) the largest living animal• • •Main Entry: ↑blue
* * *blue whale,a blue-gray whale with yellowish underparts, sometimes growing to over 95 feet in length; sulphur-bottom. It is the largest living animal.
* * *n. a migratory, mottled bluish-gray rorqual, found in all oceans of the world. Known to grow as long as 110 feet (33 m) and weigh as much as 150 tons (136,000 kg), it is the largest animal ever to inhabit the earth. ● Balaenoptera musculus, family Balaenopteridae
* * *noun, pl ⋯ whales [count]: a very large bluish-gray whale◇ The blue whale is the largest living animal.
* * *ˌblue ˈwhale f29 [blue whale] nouna type of ↑whale that is the largest known living animal
Useful english dictionary. 2012.